No Rain at No Name as Gals Head to Trailhead Despite Forecast
NO NAME LAKE – AUGUST 17 The weather forecast 40 percent chance rain at Two Medicine did not deter our group. As Katie said, “That means 60 percent chance it will not rain.” Seven optimistic hikers departed DOB at 6:00 a.m., in a downpour, enroute to Two Medicine for a hike to No Name Lake, with a stop at the Valier I-15 Exit to pick up Shelley N and plans to meet Mary Irene at the Two Medicine boat dock. Shelley is a friend of Jo Ann’s who is interested in joining GIG.
As we traveled north, the rain ended before Conrad. We stopped in Browning for a bathroom break and snacks; then, we proceeded on to Two Medicine Lake to find the mountains covered with a beautiful dusting of snow. With prompt hikers and no traffic delays, we arrived at Two Medicine shortly after 9 a.m., earlier than expected.
That gave us time to leisurely take a bathroom break, pick up our 10 a.m. boat tickets, visit the general store for snacks and coffee, and ready our gear. Shortly before 10 a.m., all passengers boarded Sinopah, the oldest boat in the Glacier Park Company fleet. But, Mary Irene had not yet arrived! Lucky for her, one passenger requested to go back to his car to get his child’s coat, delaying the boat departure about five minutes. Mary Irene arrived with less than a minute to spare. Yeah! As the boat crossed Lower Two Medicine Lake, the rain started again.
But, before docking at the upper west shore of the lake, the sky cleared and the sun came out. No rain the rest of the day. After a side trip to Twin Falls, a set of beautiful cascades flowing off the eastern slopes of Pumpelly Pillar, we proceeded down the No Name Lake Trail enjoying spectacular views in all directions. We were especially awed by the cone shaped Pumpelly Pillar, a 7620 foot arête.
Huckleberries were a tasty treat along the trail. Upon arrival at No Name Lake, we hiked about .5 miles to our lunch site--some ate lunch on a gravel beach and some at the campsite sitting on comfortable logs. The beautiful No Name Lake sits under the sheer walls of Pumpelly Pillar and 8538 foot Mt. Helen.
None of our group had been to No Name Lake. All were impressed. As we proceeded down the trail to the boat dock, the panoramic views of Lower Two Medicine Lake and surrounding mountains were striking. Upon arriving at the boat dock, we stretched our legs and backs and patiently waited for the 5:15 p.m. boat.
After docking, we proceed to the East Glacier Park Lodge where Jeanne met her boyfriend to continue their weekend, and the other hungry hikers ate dinner. After dinner, Mary Irene departed for her next campsite. The remaining six proceeded back to Great Falls. On the way, Jo Ann dropped Shelley off at her car; then, Mary S, Brenda, and Gail transferred from Viki’s car to join Jo Ann and Bonnie for rest of the drive home.
ots of laughs among the three ladies buckling seat belts in the backseat. A snug fit, but Viki did not have to drive to Great Falls and then back to Fairfield. Another great day with GIG, arriving in Great Falls at 10 p.m.
Who went: Jo Ann W and Gail, co-leaders; Bonnie W, Shelley N, Jeanne, Viki, Brenda, Mary Irene, Mary S, Submitted by Jo Ann Wright